View Single Post

Old 12-06-2010, 12:03 PM

Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts

Posted this in a different post but it's relevant here so here goes:

Hi guys. While on the way to hunting camp on Sat. I stopped at Grice's gun shop in Clearfield, PA. PA's largest gun store. It's a tradition to stop in. Wife and I bought a few items, holsters for the 586 and the 4586, a reloading tray & some flip up scope covers for her deer gun. I had one of the sales guys take out a used 686 for me to try with the 586 holster and when he did tucked far away well hidden in the back of the case was another Smith that caught my eye.

I asked him to look at it. It was VERY VERY VERY filthy model 10-6...heavy 4" barrel & square butt with wood magna stocks. All the cylinder flutes were coated with GSR and the top strap and bore were filthy. Clearly someone shot the heck out of it and never cleaned it. Suprizingly the mechanicals were spot on. Stocks had seen some good wear as well.

THEN I saw the price tag...$269.95...I don't think the words "I'll take it" could be uttered that quickly. SO to the dismay of my lovely wife (who thought I was crazy, wait she still thinks that) it found it's way home to a safer better place in my safe!

After many soaks in CLP & a generous use of Hoppes #9 and a little Ren wax it's been resurected. My wife was amazed. It cleaned up SO well and I found the stocks are numbered to the gun. Single action has a hair trigger. Double has a slight hitch but I think it will turn out to be a GREAT shooter. It balances so well in my hand. I LOVE the heavy barrel. I have not been into Model 10's before and I was pleased to find out they have a rich history and are known as great shooters.

Orignally I had planned on cleaning it up and flipping it to make a few bucks or using it as trade fodder. Whelp the lil bugger and it's 4" barrel wormed its way into my heart, I think we'll keep it and shoot the heck out of it (ONLY we will actually clean it). It's the first and only 4"er in the collection.

Thanks! Will provide range report & pix when I can.

Have fun and be safe.
Nightshade2x
The Following 9 Users Like Post: