View Single Post

Old 12-07-2010, 10:57 PM

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlYFiShErMaN View Post
Jav-clean the gun all over with Hoppes, use Hoppes liberally with a copper bore brush making 8-10 passes. Then run wet Hoppes patches 3-4 times through the barrel. Follow that with dry patches till they come out clean. Last step: Run a very wet patch with CLP on it through the bore and stand the gun on its nose on some towels. You will be amazed at how much more CLP will pull out the bore in a week. Run a dry patch down the bore in a month and see what comes out This is just my method, I am sure there are other ways to skin the cat. I know this is choppy, had to type fast - I have honey do's to get done.....hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCD1 View Post
What gun are you cleaning? You mention bolt so I am assuming a rifle. Yes you can use #9 to clean anything metal but the Bore snake will only clean a little bit of carbon and powder residue. It will not remove copper or lead. For that you need some elbow grease and a cleaning rod with correct size brush and lots of patches. Bore Snake is a novel idea but only good for a final pass or maybe a light cleaning at the range.

Then as flyfisherman stated, run some CLP through it.
Many "thank yous", guys! I had to ask because there just seems to be SO many ways to clean a firearm from very simplistic (I was taught CLP & boresnake) to more complicated ways, it gets confusing as a first time firearm owner. Looks like I'll end up getting a brush and patches then. Bummed that just the snake won't suffice, that thing is thick and has 3 brushes hehe. Yeah it's the S&W M&P 15-22 rifle, this is what the bolt assembly looks like: