View Single Post

Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 PM
US Veteran

Liked 33,813 Times in 5,283 Posts
Default Any tips on fighting with GM?

I just picked up our 06 Hummer H3 and dropped off a check for $1134 at the GM dealer.

It has 79,000 miles on it and is out of warranty.

Up until the 07 Model there was a plastic mode fork (or something like that) in the transfer case. In 07 this part was replaced with a metal part due to the tendency of the plastic one to come apart and foul up the transfer case, causing repairs that cost - can you guess? - about $1100. (Most of that is labor).

The dealer confirmed that is what happened to mine. There was never a recall, but a simple Google search shows it is a common problem, and it went away with the implementation of the metal part.

I called GM customer service in the faint hope they would recognize their part in this little saga and either extend the warranty to cover it or at least go 50/50 with me. The dealer indicated the would sometimes do that. After working my way through "Josh" and then "Roy", they told me they wouldn't offer any assistance.

Eleven hundred bucks won't break me, but it sure isn't fun, especially this time of year when I'm trying to make good on Santa's promises.

Any advice?