View Single Post

Old 12-11-2010, 08:52 AM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
When I started in law enforcement in 1970, I saw a lot of older plain-clothes officers carrying airweight revolvers loaded with standard factory mid-range wadcutters.

They were not "gun people" and wanted a light weight gun with no recoil. I'm sure they would have carried a 32 S&W if the department would have let them.
I remember the same thing when I went on in 1971. One of our old guys shot an idiot with a knife at the auto desk one night during a squabble over an impounded vehicle. One of the officer's 148-grain wadcutters struck the suspect in the wrist and lodged there, failing to penetrate through and strike the suspect's chest.

Another of the officer's WC bullets barely made it into the suspect's lung after penetrating a heavy winter coat and the suspect's chest wall. The suspect turned and ran down the corridor to the central desk officer at the front door. He stood there rubbing his wrist and loudly demanding to see the sub-station OIC about his car. He wasn't aware he'd been shot in the chest until they got him to the ER.

Those 148-grain WC loads are the darlings of the gell-o shooters, for sure. But their popularity quickly evaporates among those who carry a snubbie for serious purposes. The 148-grain WC's duplicate the old black powder 150-grain .38 Long Colt load that the U.S. military attempted to use on the Moros during the Phillipine Insurrection. I think we all know how that turned out.

I'm not sure why anyone would choose something of that performance level when there are snubbie loads, like the 135-grain +P Gold Dot, that are proven performers with agencies like NYPD, LAPD and others.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: