View Single Post

Old 12-11-2010, 06:11 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Oh, yeah, I've got some that are/have been used. The ones I use most frequently are my steak knives! Somewhere, long ago, I picked up a set of 4 of the #6 models. They work well for the intended purpose. The problem is only me and Momma are allowed to feed ourselves with them!

And about 15 years ago I ran into a knife seller/swindler (my fault, I submitted with a smile) named Jack Crider. He had a bunch of them he was selling off, so I passed a bunch of cash across the table toward him. One was well used (but you can't tell by looking at it). Its a short blade that doesn't seem to fit any factory standard grind. But someone along the way in West (by Gawd) Virginny took it to an engraver and had it scrached up. Not sure, but I think the name was Shaw Leibowicz or some such. When Jack had it, he was asking a fair price. So after a few gun shows and knife shows, I bought it. When his Missus returned from a potty break, she threw a fit. It was her apple pealin' knife! I offered to sell it back to him (at a fair profit for me) just to appease her.

And I've thrown my throwing knife at a tree or two (but with a back stop where I could find it if I missed.)

Less-see, I've never used my carving set. But I did give one away to a buddy for a wedding present. His wife still claims it was the best present they got. The buddy's uncle (Jimmy Garrett) worked at the Randall factory until his death. The buddy had an aluminum handle saltwater fisherman. A third yokel (an term of endearment here in the hills) went to a gunshow one time with us. There on a table was another Saltwater fisherman, with a $500 price tag. The buddy said "I've got one just like that at home!" The non-believer said "oh sure." Never question our sincerity. When we got home, the buddy marched him into the basment (drive-in style). Walked over to his toolbox and pulled out one of the bottom drawers (the large kind). In one smooth motion he turned it upside down on the basment floor and started sorting. Sure enough, within a few seconds he spotted the Randall and pulled it free of the screwdrivers, bolts, wire and stuff! It was a classic moment.

Oh, and not to be forgotten, both the buddy and I have Randall folders. Yep. Folding blade Randalls, the kind you've never seen before. Old man Randall felt a knife shouldn't fold. But back right after the old man passed away, the factory solicited some upscale folding knife builders for samples of what could be done. As the story goes (and I can't vouch for it) they sent a few blades to a small number of knife smiths. They got back some samples, but none were pleasing to them so they dropped the project. But some of the blades were later finished into spectacular versions. I'm guessing about 1993 or so... we ran into 2 of them for sale, so we made a "group buy" and picked the two up. Mine has some pretty old bark Ivory handles (scales?), the buddies has smooth Ivory with his sheltie scrimshawed on them! I've been meaning to carry it more often... They have open frame liner lock style design. Oh, and they cut steak real well, too.

Hmmm. And about that same time frame I picked up another Randall at a tiny backwoods gun show. It was a pretty casual affair. There might have been a dozen tables, total. I drove about 100 miles to get there and then walked the show in about 10 minutes. No guns of any interest, but in a glass cased display, looking like it had been shook up with the knives inside, I spotted a randall. A bit worse for wear, but I'm not all that particular. Worse, no one knew where the owner of the table had gone. So I hung out waiting. About a half hour later this jolly old guy came back in with a handful of McDonalds bags. He'd bought coffee for the crowd! Generosity is a thing here in Kentucky.

So when he got done distributing the cups around, I asked him if I could see a knife in his display. He laughed and said "Bet yer lookin' fer that old Randall". Yep. So he found the key after some searching and opened it up. As he handed it to me, he apologized and said he'd have to get a full $150 for it. I got a look on my face like I'd been stabbed in the heart. But I looked the knife over real well and finally paid him his price. It even had a name stamped/etched into the off side. Its "Ted Sackett". Never heard of him. But the knife is in with a bunch of others these days, and I don't have a sheath.

I took it to my knife consultant, Joe Gillenwater at the next big show. He looked it over, politely listened to my story, and suggested I'd been taken badly. But he'd help me out of my fix and let me double my money! What a guy. Of course I declined because he had a smile on his face. He said it was a 1960s grind trout and bird. It does fit in an old Buck sheath, so I carry it in that from time to time. It was sharpened a bunch by someone who didn't have a clue how it should be done. But I overlook that and keep it anyway.

Lets see, and I've got a Randall Kit knife with an ivory handle. Did you know Randall used to sell kit knives? Not to be confused with a kit gun, these actually came as a kit the buyer could finish himself. Mine was finished with a chunk of elephant tusk to hold on. The problem was the prior owner kept it in a safe with dessicant or a golden rod. It dried out the ivory an it cracked, stem to stern. The crack on the underside was so wide you could insert a business card. Ugly. But I swallowed any pride I still had and bought it. Took it to the gunroom in the old house and promptly forgot it. I asked my bride to please buy me some Johnson & Johnson baby oil. She forgot. Then when I came across it I looked at the knife in my musty and damp basement, and guess what? Just a little moisture in the air managed to swell the crack shut! You can still see the crack because it had been used and dirt got inside. So I was bad and washed it for about a half hour in warm water. I got some of the dirt worked out of the crack, but you can still see it.

OK, I'm tired of keying any Y'all are tired of readin'. I'll just go take a nap.