View Single Post

Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Another Randall knife story I enjoyed. This is kind of paraphrased because its been a while since the guy told it to me.

Another friend of mine had wanted a Centennial Randall for a long time. His wife had been wanting to go shopping at a place an hour or so way. He located a knife and talked to the seller on the phone. He got driving directions. Then he told his wife he'd take her where she wanted to go, but he wanted to make a stop, too.

So off they went the next day. When he got to the sellers house, they went up and knocked. The guy invited them inside, sat them down at the kitchen table and offered them some coffee. They chatted for a short while and the guy went out and brought back the knife. Our guy looked it over and agreed it was what it should be. Then he asked if there was any room on the price. The seller said no. So he counted out $800 and handed it to the man. He heard his wife gasp. But he took his knife and they left.

When they got to the car, his wife started a multi year tirade about spending that kind of money on a stupid knife. He took his lumps like a big boy. He wanted that knife. He took the accompanying abuse from his missus. And she went on relentlessly for a few years.

Then one day there was a knock at the door. Our guy opened the door and invited the guest inside. In a repeat of his show a few years earlier, he took him to the kitchen, got him coffee and left for a few seconds. He returned with "the knife." The guy looked it over, tried to get an accommodation on the price, failed, and took out an envelope. He counted out $3200 and handed it over. Wife gasped in the background. The new owner left with a thanks. And our guy took the money (every red cent) and left the room. Since that second day, no one word has been said about his knife dealings. Go figure.