View Single Post

Old 12-16-2010, 02:26 AM
Absent Comrade
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member

Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

Taylor produced a number of "Bowie" style knives of the same blade pattern and with various material for the handles in the last 1/2 doz. years. The blades have various markings, such as TEXAS RANGER BOWIE, etc . You see them occasionally on Ebay and other websites for discount cutlery. On ebay they usually don't bring more than $20-$30 range, and sometimes much less. The problem with Taylor knives and S&W collectors is that Taylor makes 100s of knives marked S&W, out of which maybe 10% are selected by S&W for factory sales. The other 90% wind up on the surplus knife market & Ebay. Whether your Texas Ranger version was ever accepted by the factory for sale as an officially S&W endorsed knife can only be answered by the factory, or Taylor. I don't find a listing of it in the S&W knife catalogs I have.
There are some S&W official Bowie knives - The 145th Anniv Model, for example. I have seen several different S&W Bowie knives with marking commemorating the Texas Rangers. One has a Ranger badge over an outline of Texas and a says "1823 -150th Anniversary-2003" and "1 of 1000"on the other side of the blade. Another version says "Texas Hold'em" Those knives appear in the factory knife catalogs for 2003-2006. Ed.