View Single Post

Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 AM

Liked 336 Times in 138 Posts

Had friends over for a swim. One walked into the kitchen from the pool with damp feet. Slipped on the tile floor and broke her arm in the fall.

Less than a yr later, I got out of the shower in the master bath. Slipped on the tile floor and my foot was cut to the extent it needed 12 stitches as it went under the counter.

Moved from that house and into this one with a marble tile master bath. Wife slipped on the floor after a shower and tore her knee up and will eventually require surgery for it.

Tile is slippery when wet. Notice stores do not use tile flooring often due to the risk of falls.

Also, in the event of a fall, the head hitting the tile floor stands a good change of being split open.

Tile looks good but has a lot of drawbacks. Another issue is the grouting between the tiles gets dirty with age and is tough to clean.

If a tile is broken some way, it is tough to replace.

Tiles can become loose with time. I have one in my entry foyer that is loose. A person will not notice it unless they walk on it. Repairing it is a major expense due to the labor involved and then the grout will not match the older grout around it.