View Single Post

Old 12-17-2010, 01:49 AM

Liked 446 Times in 240 Posts
Default Do I have a problem with my 45 FS trigger?

I won a S&W contest a month ago, $1000 4th place, so I thought I would buy my 1st semi-auto. After much comparison fondling of Taurus and Springfield and Sig and on and on I was very happy to have the M&P in my hand. I was unable to shoot any of them, so I chose based on how they felt in my hand. I have carried and fired wheel guns for years - Model 13-1 357 and a lately a new 642 (for summer carry) and now I am proud to own a 3rd S&W.

I have only been dry-firing the M&P because I am waiting for the snow to melt so I can go to the range. The trigger mechanism is horrible. It has 3 or 4 rough spots as I squeeze, then hangs just as it releases. But also, that armature that goes from the trigger around the top of the mag well and back to the sear(?) is rubbing on the right side slide stop lever, and has rubbed a shiny spot on it already. When cocked, as I pull back on the trigger, the slide rocks very slightly, and the right side slide lock lever moves.

I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they handed me a 40 Compact and it felt very similar, so I got the "They all do that." I was not aware of that armature rubbing the slide stop lever until tonight, which prompted me to go to the experts.

I read about the Apex parts, I know that would solve some of that roughness and lower the 'pull', and I might just go there, but this armature that is rubbing can't be correct, can it? Would the Apex parts fix that?

Forgive my terminology, I am not an expert. But I need one now. Suggestions? And thanks!