View Single Post

Old 12-17-2010, 03:23 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootle View Post
Don't buy a scope for your rifle to double as a spotting scope... that's usually not a very good trade in quality if you set a price point then try to get "maximum" magnification available at that price point. Even a cheap pair of binoculars will probably serve you better for spotting. Even a few packs of Shoot-N-C stick-on target patches would be a decent alternative to an overpowered, but cheap, optic.

That said, 10-14x magnification should be enough to pick out .22 holes on paper at 100yds if you are not looking at holes on a black target. I found that using an orange-printed sighting-in grid target, I could easily pick out the holes at 100yds with a Mueller APT 4.5-14x40AO. It's a pretty nice setup for only $150 or so.
I totally agree with everything you say! However quality of scope has alot to do with capability. for example the Vortex Viper line is of very high quality and it's 20x is capable of well over 1000 yards which i'll vouch for myself. Now can you get that same performance out of any cheap scope with a 25x or 30x max range? nope! This magnification range is very common among target shooters. 2-7x, 3-9x and even lower are generally just for hunting purposes. Know the intended purposes of what you're buying. People really need to keep glass quality in mind when looking at scopes. With that in mind, here is a commonly accepted list of the best scopes (top to bottom, 2010 not released)

2009 Riflescope Rating Scale

Leica ER, Swarovski Z6, Zeiss Victory

Kahles C - CL & CSX, Premier Reticle, Schmidt & Bender

Kahles KX, U.S. Optics, Swarovski PH & American Lightweight

Bushnell Elite 6500, Leupold VX-7, Nightforce NXS, IOR Valdada, Vortex Razor

Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold VX-3, Nikon Monarch & Monarch X, Zeiss Conquest

Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Meopta, Nikon Monarch Gold & Titanium, Sightron SIII & S2 Big Sky, Vortex Viper

Burris Black Diamond Signature Select XTR & Euro Diamond, Pentax Lightseeker, Trijicon Accupoint, Weaver Grand Slam

Bushnell Elite 3200, Leupold VX-II, Millet Tactical/Buck Gold, Nikko Stirling, Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron SI & SII, Vortex Crossfire & Diamondback, Super Sniper Fixed

Burris Fullfield II & Timberline, Leupold Rifleman & VX-I, Leatherwood, Mueller, Nikon ProStaff, Simmons

Barska, Sightmark, Swift, Truglo

BSA, Tasco, Yukon

ATN, Leapers, NcStar