View Single Post

Old 12-17-2010, 02:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Will plated bullets damage my gun?

Is there any reason why I should not use plated bullets in my S&W 629?

I can’t buy good quality cast lead bullets because nobody (Canada) sells them. At least nobody that I can find. And the shipping costs would be high anyway to mail lead around the country.

I don’t want to get into the “cast your own vs buy them” argument because at this time I just want to buy them. I have (literally) a couple of tons of wheel weight lead stashed out in the shed against the time or circumstances where I might have no choice but to cast my own, but for now I’d just rather not bother.

I CAN get plated bullets through a dealer not all that far away, so I can drive there and get them. That solves most of the shipping cost problem. I suppose the quality on them would be about “normal” for plated bullets. I can get 200 grain or 230 grain. I do NOT intend to shoot them at high speed. Just want plinking loads.

Obviously they are more costly than plain lead cast bullets, but considering I have very few choices other than to cast my own (which I do not want to bother with) I don’t see I have any alternative but to pay the extra price.

I’m just not sure what a steady diet of copper plated bullets would do to the forcing cone or bore of my new 629. Perhaps nothing.

Any thoughts or advice?