View Single Post

Old 12-17-2010, 07:32 PM

Liked 48 Times in 10 Posts

I love these "wear the gun out by shooting it" discussions. Let's say you shoot 50,000 rounds and you handload. That's about $.05/powder and $.03/primer x 50,000 = $4,000.00. That's the about the cheapest you could load 50,000 rounds assuming you have the brass and cast your own bullets and doesn't include the lube. If you buy factory ammo, 50,000 rounds at .$40/rnd would cost you $20,000. I'd worry more about being able to afford to shoot it.

I'm still stuck on the 2 tons of wheel weights. That's 116,666 240 gr. bullets.

I think you solved your own problem with your friends 6,000 bullets. I'm of the opinion that if you keep the bullets away from dust, dirt and excessive heat they'll outlast you. Whether he lubes/sizes them or you lube/size them is primarily a cost issue if he's sizing them to the size you need.

The lube/sizing process is time consuming. I don't particularly like doing it, but I do like having free bullets.

I wouldn't really worry about wearing out your gun. With the money in ammo you're talking about, buy another revolver and set it aside just in case.