View Single Post

Old 12-18-2010, 05:49 PM

Liked 232 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
I'm ever slowly becoming disenchanted with a couple of 3rd Generation 45's I have. Today I took the 457 out for a spin along with my Glock 30SF. About thirty rounds into firing the 457 with 230gr FMJ's the last round failed to go into battery completely. I moved the slide back just a bit and saw the cartridge in the chamber and not under the extractor. This is not the first time this has happened with this pistol. In fact nearly every time I've taken it to the range this happens. It also happens with my 4566 TSW about every other time I take it out.

These are pretty new magazines and I have new S&W springs in all magazines. The recoil spring is S&W factory and has had less than 300 rounds with it.

I shot 100 rounds with the Glock and there was no failures of any sort using two different kinds of bullets- 230 gr FMJ and 185 gr Sierra JHP's.There wasn't any failure last time with it either firing 150 rounds of different ammo. The only S&W 45 that has given me reliable service has been the 4506 I've had since 1990. I had hoped the 457 would be as good since I had planned on carrying it since it was the lightest and smallest of three S&W 45's I have. It doesn't look like that's going to happen...most disappointing.
I had this problem with a new 4566TSW. It is too bad SmithCrazy hasn't seen this post. He solved my problem.

He said that S&W has shipped many magazines with the spring upside down and included a picture of a properly assembled magazine with spring looked like. I found three of four new magazines with the spring installed upside down.

A search should turn up his explaination and his picture.