View Single Post

Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 PM

Liked 6,614 Times in 2,198 Posts

If the feeding problems continued to occur with factory ammunition being used, I'd call S&W after the Holiday break.

As a former handloading enthusiast I can certainly understand someone defending their hobby and handloads, but if the problem occurs with handloads and doesn't occur with good quality factory ammunition, it can seem to indicate a probable cause other than the guns themselves.

Glocks have somewhat looser tolerances. (Although as a Glock armorer I wouldn't recommend the use of anything other than good quality factory ammunition be used in them, either. )

I have encountered some older 3rd gen barrels where a caliber appropriate finishing reamer, carefully and properly applied, removed what seemed to be some high, tight spots in chambers. This was demonstrated to me by a much more experienced S&W armorer when I was a new armorer, but it wasn't something taught in the class. As with any cutting tool, though (or a Dremel), it's really easy to remove too much metal, or metal from the wrong place, and ruin a part (and barrels are among the more expensive parts). Best to let the factory look at a suspected gun problem.

Last edited by Fastbolt; 12-19-2010 at 07:24 PM.