Thread: 57 VS 29-2
View Single Post

Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts

I carry a 3" 657 loaded with Speer Gold Dot's in 210 grains in the winter (for large or heavily clothed criminals) and it was my outdoor revolver for years. I have seen the results from taking a few deer down with that round and a 4" and 6" 57 and was/am thoroughly impressed. An average sized deer is close to the same body weight as a man so that is the extent of my scientific data as I have luckily never had to shoot another human being. Recoil is stout but is manageable with a good grip and practice. I want my rounds to penetrate so I can put two holes to speed up the bleeding process, both on an animal and someone intent on doing me harm. Recoil is very similar to the short barreled 240 grain .44 loads. I feel very well armed with the round and weapon.

To clarify the overpenetration subject just about any premium SD ammo will penetrate clear through and then some on a human on a frontal shot. You are not always afforded that luxury of that perfect shot when defending yourself and that .41 mag Gold Dot will do its job.

I'll keep on buying .41 ammo (for self defense) which is avialable online and in some gun shops and keep reloading till my fingers fall off for my .41 mags. Been down the .44 road and enjoy the .41 much more so looks like I'm in the minority here. It's all in the right bullet and load to do everything you need a large bore revolver to do in North America.

Even if you don't reload you need some deep pockets to shoot em both. A good supply of 210 gr, LSWC's and a can of Unique will keep you shooting at the range and in the woods for a long time.

JMO

Last edited by Sportsterguy; 12-21-2010 at 08:19 PM.