View Single Post

Old 12-23-2010, 02:14 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts

You're getting some good advice here so pay heed to what you're being told. CQB and Palmetto Sharpshooter have laid the ground work for you.

The 50 is all about focus on the front sight and trigger control, you have to completely ignore the movement of the front sight on your aim point and trust that the sight are there. That movement is the "arc of motion", which due to the optical illusion, appears your front sight is literally swinging off the target. In reality you muzzle is moving no more than it does at 25 yards and the effect on the bullet should normally be about the width of the 10 ring (X ring when you're on your game). Remember to keep applying pressure through your trigger squeeze and do not make the gun go off when you think it needs to, let the hammer break on its own.

The sitting position should just about be your most stable, I use it for all my sight in work. Some prefer using the prone for that but I find that shooting at the upward angle from prone gives me a slightly high impact, so I set my sights in sitting and have a secondary aim point for prone. This was greatly exagerated when I went to prescription lenses. If your wear specticles for shooting make sure they have the large optics (you get a larger sweet spot) and keep the front sight centered in your lense. I know, just another thing to have to remember .

As Palmetto Shooter said, a big belly interfers with the position. You have to be able to breathe in every position and gut size in the sitting affects the diaphragm, which affects your breathing.

For the position, you can shoot with either knee up. I prefer the right knee, which is backwards for most right handers. You are using your knee/leg as a support much like a baracade in this position. Your other leg is straight out for counter balance. You will also place the foot of you "up" leg under the knee/calf of your straight leg to lock you position. It will also help to wear your work boots as the add more counter balance, tennie runners just don't cut it.

Now that your on the ground, your gun hand gets positioned alongside the "up" knee and your support hand comes around the front of the "up" leg and pulls everything in tight. Now, here is where the counter balance comes into play - you relax your gut and let your upper body lay back toward the ground. Your arms will hold the weight of your upper body, further locking the gun into a fixed position alongside your leg. With your arms supporting your upper body instead of your abs you can now beathe fairly normal in the sitting position. Downside to this position, if you have short and/or spindely legs and no boots for counter balance you will roll right over onto your back. Practice at home with an unloaded gun .

As far as shooting this with a 4", I use a 586 with a patridge sight slightly taller than Palmetto Shooter's. I can get a neck hold at the 50 by turning my elevation screw down 3/4 of a turn from my center hold adjustment and I can shoot as good a score as I do with my 6" 586. As Palmetto said, you'll want a blued sight, preferable a patridge (but a ramp will work) and be sure to use sight black to make the sights stand out.