View Single Post

Old 12-24-2010, 12:00 AM

Liked 831 Times in 390 Posts

One of those files is an exploded diagram.
So-so rendition, and not any real help in sequence of disassembly.

The other file is an uber-lame factory insert that was shipped with M39 pistols. Basically tells you nothing that you couldn't figure out in two minutes of looking at the gun, and assuming you have seen a gun before in your life, and assuming you know things like unload-gun-before-cleaning.

Here is what you need to do.

Remove magazine.

Jack any live rounds out of the chamber.

Retract slide so that trapezoidal-shaped notch on left side of slide lines up with takedown lever.

Takedown lever protrudes through the other side of gun.

While lever is still lined up with notch, whack the protruding part to knock takedown lever out of gun.

Be sure that selector is in FIRE postion when you knock the takedown lever out. Otherwise, the lever will take a chunk out of the top of your left grip panel if the slide moves forward with the lever in the SAFE position.

Pull slide assembly forward off of gun.

Restrain the hammer as you do this, or it will fly forward, and smack the frame of the pistol. If you allow this to happen every time, the hammer may damage the frame.

Remove recoil spring assembly from slide. It just pops out.

Rotate barrel bushing slightly to align tab on barrel bushing with notch on slide. Remove barrel bushing.

Wiggle barrel out of slide.

Reassemble in reverse order.
Try not to leave idiot-marks on the gun when re-installing the slide-stop lever.

That's probably as far as you need to go for most cleaning.

If you want to remove the firing pin to clean the crud that accumulates in the firing pin channel, its pretty easy.

With the slide already off the gun, and barrel and recoil spring removed, be sure the selector is in the FIRE position. Use a punch to push the tail of the firing pin forward, past the selector shaft. While holding the firing pin forward with the punch, pull the selector out of the slide. This is a good opportunity to lose the selector detent and/or the selector spring. Do this job over a towel in a clean area. Capture the detent and spring before you lose them, and don't let the punch slip. If you let the punch slip, and the firing pin is pointed at your face, you will get a tattoo between the eyes. Wear eye protection.

If you have stripped it this far, you can remove the grip panels, and then drown everything (except the grips) in your favorite gun oil. I like Break Free. Blow-off all the excess oil with compressed air.

Blot areas that are still wet. Wipe off all the accumulated crud. Auger crud out of the firing pin channel with Q-Tips.

Unless you are replacing broken parts, I can see no reason to remove the trigger axis pin, or the extractor pin, or the backstrap retaining pin.

If you remove the rear sight (pry up at front, and rotate 90 degrees) you can get remove the magazine disconnect plunger and spring. It really is unnecessary to remove the rear sight to get the disconnect plunger and spring clean enough. I just blast Break-Free around it from the underside of the slide. Manipulate the plunger some with a punch. The plunger assembly will barf-out most of the accumulated goop. you can see the exposed plunger spring through a hole on the underside of the slide. Blast Break-Free into the exposed spring, and allow the barf to all run out that hole and around the shaft of the plunger. No need to remove the sight

I can't think of much else you need to know about disassembly of the M39.

I posted a bunch of pics, and wrote about my initial experience tearing apart the M39 at Model 39's at AIM - which "European police" dept?

Hope this helps!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: