View Single Post

Old 12-24-2010, 06:12 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I figure ammo quality can vary a bit from batch to batch especially since the infamous and disgraceful results of the 2008 elections caused a run on the sales of guns and ammo. I now test the first five from a box by measuring cartridge #5 before and after firing the first four through the cylinder of my little S&W 340Sc revolver. If #5 doesn't grow by more than a few thousands of an inch I figure it is good to go.

The loads that I tried successfully in my limited testing recently are: the Speer (Load # 23921) 135gr Short Barrel Gold Dot .357 mag, the Winchester (Load # X357SHP) .357 mag Silver Tip 145 gr., and the Federal (Load # P357XB1) Barnes Expander 140 gr.

The excellent Wichester Silvertips 145 gr .357 magnums are hot to shoot though the lightweight revolver but unfortunately very hard to find for sale right now, so they may not be available. The Speer GD Short Barrel 135 gr .357 mags are almost pleasant to shoot and are a good SD choice for the lightweight revolver. The Federal 140 gr Barnes Expander .357 seemed very accurate. The Barnes Expander is supposed to be one of the best new bullets available in .357 mag. I understand that Corbon has the Barnes bullets available in 125 gr weight in .357 magnum but I have not tried any of those yet.

I found that the Hornady 140 gr .357 that I tried had noticable bullet pull as did some 158gr loads. Maybe different batches of the same ammo would be fine in the light scandium frame 340 sc revolver

I suggest that you try loads first through your revolver before trusting for carry