View Single Post

Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 AM

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
OT (sorry): That's interesting, Bob - I feel like my J-38s are almost certainly stronger than my K-38s (amount of forcing cone in the cylinder window, thickness of cylinder at the bolt cut). Goes to show you that two sensible people can look at the same thing and nevertheless derive different opinions.

Now you all have me wondering about the old-time 2400-loads for the .38/158 that I passed by in my rush to play with SR 4756.
Hey Erich, It's not that I feel that the J's will blow up or anything but rather two factors, one is that the J's will "loosen up" with prolonged fireing with these loads (158gr), (this is purely a personel opinion with no real evidence) and the recoil is a bit punishing! Lets just say my loads were derived from the old Speer number eight manual and have been throtteled back a bit but still stout. With 2400 I have found that useing new to twice fired caseing's with a heavy crimp yeild's good accuracy and velocity, you get lousy results with a light crimp. As for the "unburnt powder", yes it's a dirty powder with lotsa residue to deal with, but not unmanageable. Yes it's true that we all have our view's on things!