View Single Post

Old 01-01-2011, 12:39 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,095 Times in 1,249 Posts

What makes 38 Special +P?"

The extra ink it takes to print "+P" on the box.

Just kidding. It is certain that +P has been built up into a much more worrisome product than is necessary through speculation alone. Seems that SAAMI has redefined .38 Special and +P .38 Special standards several times in the past few years. I'm not sure what the SAAMI standards currently are but +P was once set at 1500 psi above standard .38 Special which was pegged at 17,000 psi. Both levels are pretty mild.

Don't sell the K-Frame Model 66 short. It may be used with .357 Magnum ammunition. The Model 66 features chambers properly designed for .357 Magnum ammunition and of standard dimensions. A Model 66 might not be a choice for long term, high volume applications using .357 Magnum ammunition but will serve well for self-defense and associated practice.

"I know you can buy commercial ammo for the +P variety but if you want to "roll your own" I wasn't sure about what powders/bullet combos would be good..."

For some time .38 Special performance has mostly been redefined downward in published loading manuals. Some got downright silly in their attempts to ere on the side of caution. Some older manuals do have some published loads that wouldn't be prudent to use in just any .38 Special revolver that may be scrounged up.

It's difficult to peg exactly what a +P .38 Special handload is and the more manuals one has on hand that publish so called "+P" data the more confusing it becomes. Some of the manuals 30 years old or older that list powders that are still current can still be a good source of information for those who are willing to carefully make use of their information.

Good discussion of "+P" handloads for .38 Special crops up here with regularity. These are occasionally sprinkled with differences of opinion which make for enjoyable reading. No matter which side one adheres to, the differences in opinion could be a good cautionary sign that the loads discussed are in the upper reaches of .38 Special capabilities and prudence is dictated.