View Single Post

Old 01-01-2011, 01:34 PM

Liked 284 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
What makes 38 Special +P?"

Don't sell the K-Frame Model 66 short. It may be used with .357 Magnum ammunition. The Model 66 features chambers properly designed for .357 Magnum ammunition and of standard dimensions. A Model 66 might not be a choice for long term, high volume applications using .357 Magnum ammunition but will serve well for self-defense and associated practice.
So, in essence if one was to just use, say, a box of 50 once a month for familiarization, there shouldn't be a problem? I'm not familiar with the K-frame and hence, my question. I've had N-frames before without any hesitation on firing mostly 357 loads but, I like the smaller sized K-frame better these days and was curious about the ability of that frame to handle an ongoing amount of full bore 357 loads. Funny how when you get older you don't want large pistols anymore.

Quote:
As long as you stayed above the 38+P loadings in the 357 cases you should be alright.
Looking at Hornady's manual for the 125 gr bullet, a load of 17.4 gr of H 110 is a starting load and 19.9 gr a max. The velocities run from 1250-1500 but, this is taken from an 8 inch Python. So, If I used 18.5(according to the manual) that would give 1350 fps. However, that figure being taken from the longer barrel, I can only surmise from a 3-4 inch barrel it would be maybe 1250 fps which is the minimum load velocity. That's fast enough for practice and should be enough power to not get into trouble pressure wise.