View Single Post

Old 01-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Liked 284 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFC05 View Post
If case you haven't read the manufacturer's caution notes, H110/Win 296 are NOT suitable for experimenting and should be used strictly per instructions. These powders produce the maximum power, but can wear the gun faster..

The discussions above were with the assumption you were going to use powders more amenable to adjustment over a wide range. I load H110/296 loads for my 686, but I consider them hotter than what I want for my Model 66. Many medium powders produce mid-range .357 loads around 1000 to 1100 fps that are adequate for most purposes. Titegroup with 125gr jacketed bullet is less abusive than the H110.
The peak pressure is what blows up a gun, but a hot load also can accelerate wear without blowing it up.
I just pulled that particular powder out of the air, so to speak, as an example. At any rate,what manufacturer's caution notes are you referring to? I don't have any data in the Speer/Hornady manual for this powder and bullet weight using Titegroup. Most likely, I would be using Universal Clays, Unique or AA#5-powders I have available and I consider these to be a medium rate as opposed to faster powders.

Minimum loads with these powders are still going to give you a velocity of around 1200-1250 fps, depending on barrel length. I don't care for fast powders like Bullseye and Titegroup. fast powders make me a bit nervous. I've seen blowups with double charges of Bullseye and wouldn't have it on my work bench.