View Single Post

Old 01-01-2011, 09:24 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 61 Times in 28 Posts
Default Andy Horvath Custom Model 28-2 Snub !!!

Well I finally have my “dream” gun.

Like many of you, I “cut my teeth” on a good revolver. I’ve always enjoyed carrying one instead of a semi auto. Now please don’t misunderstand me. The last 4 ½ years I spent on the job, my daily carry was a Colt GM along with two extra mags and with a 342 snub in my weak hand front pants pocket. The auto loaders have their place but I’m not chasing bad guys anymore in the big city so I’ve gone back to my first love, a good revolver for daily carry.

Now that I’m retired, I can carry just about anything I can qual with. An “N frame” anything is hard to beat in my book. I’ve had a 6” P&R model 28-2 sitting in the safe for awhile. I purchased it fairly cheap from a local railroad worker. Non original grips, a little touch of rust here & there, a horrible DA but still a solid gun. I always wanted a N frame snub, in 38/357 mag with a RB. Several months ago I asked around on the forum for a gunsmith who could do the work.

Several of you recommended Andy Horvath in Ohio. I called Andy, told him what I wanted and we came to terms. I send him the gun on September 14 with a payment and got it back on December 14. One word. WOW !

The 6” barrel was shorten to approximately 2 ¾” and all factory markings removed. The front sight was reinstalled (pinned) with a red ramp on the new barrel. “Horvath Custom 357 Mag.” was engraved (very nicely done BTW) on the barrel on the right side. Because of the short barrel, the locking bolt & spring were removed and replaced with a “ball detent crane” lock up.

The N frame SB was changed to K frame RB. The factory standard rear adj. sight as well as the original hammer & trigger were retained. The DA is very smooth at 10 lbs. and the SA breaks like glass! The gun was refinished in a dull blue finish like the original with the bottom portion of the frame “brushed”. It locks up like a vault and timing is spot on! Because it’s going to be carried, I prefer compac Pachmayrs instead of wood. The grips fit my hand just perfect. It’s not going to be a safe queen.

Now I’m usually the first one in line preaching not to refinish, modify, etc. an older gun especially a classic like this HP. Well I’m not getting any younger plus I still have several five screw pre 28’s in the safe to enjoy. Tomorrow I plan to head to the range and put several boxes of 38 & 357 loads downrange.

Last but not least, you can add me to the long list of Andy Horvath fans. He is a master gunsmith whose service and work is without peer.

Thanks VM for posting the pics.