View Single Post

Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
That's not hard at all to believe, Rob - a few years back I was playing with (Tennessee Valley Bullets - I'd been using Rainiers and Berry's swaged/plated bullets until a friend in Arkansas told me about the amazing results he was getting with TVBs) hardcast DEWCs for defensive loads and I found that velocity was easily attained (and exceeded) with presently published Unique loads. A quite accurate loading, too. The potential legal ramifications of carrying handloads aside (which of course would not be an issue with the Buffalo Bore loadings), the only real downside that I can see to using it is that it's difficult to do a speedy reload with due to the short nose.

The one on the right:

Here are the results from the first range session I did with the load in question (these velocities were on the high end - averages from snubs tend to be about 75 fps lower):

Remember, folks, this is supposedly a standard pressure .38 Spl load per the Speer # 12 . . .
Max Unique load from Speer #12/TVB 148-gr hardcast DEWC
M 15 4" - M 1127/ES 19.88/SD 8.54
M 36-1 3" - M 1095/ES 49.10/sd 21.42
M 38-2 1 7/8" - M 1020/ES 75.92/SD 37.92

The load was actually unpleasant to shoot from the Airweight. It was fine to shoot from the other two guns, though I knew I'd launched something of consequence. These somewhat frightening results got me questioning my chronograph, so I immediately shot two 9x19 loads that I'd chrono'd the month before from the Sigma - and they both performed extremely similarly (both were a little faster - maybe the air was fast today) to the way they had last month, which made me think the chronograph was fine.

The two lower groups in this pic:

A later session:

Here are results from a later re-chronographing - these are more in line with the usual results:

TVB 148-gr DEWCs through the 1 7/8" 38-2; same range - 5950' > sea level, 36° F this time:

average of 954.8 fps, ES 36.71, SD 16.82

I would agree that under stress the full WC's would become a liability. I would use the SWC HP for reloads (if necessary).
I noted that you are 6000' above sea level and just above freezing resulting in thinner air(?) than most of us. BB states 868fps. on their 148/150gr. HC WC load from 1 7/8th" bbl. So you are there + some. On Ruger.net find terry_p's load using Power Pistol and Rim Rock bullets attempting to dulicate BB's 158gr. SWCHP GC +P. Good info there! I can imagine that your WC load was a bit snappy! I've bookmarked your post for the future. Do find terry_p and check the comments following on Power Pistol in a short barrel. He also "has it together".

Thanks again for your efforts. I'm running a 642 and an LCR, liking both for different reasons, so I'm interested in max. results w/o cracking bones in my palm!