View Single Post

Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 PM

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
Hi Joe,

I've thought that, actually. Of course, it gets into the whole handload thing . . . unless you use these BB loads that Rob is mentioning.

Rob, I'm going to go dig around for that thread: I load with a lot of Power Pistol (I was just saying on another thread that I'm not sure whether I'd recommend it or Unique - my old stand-by - as the best and most versatile all-around powder these days) but have never messed with PP for "combat wadcutters". (Let me say right here: do NOT use Green Dot - the old max loadings of GD will throw those WCs out faster than you can believe . . . and they'll absolutely plate your bore with lead while they're doing it.) Only downside of PP vs. Unique is the flashiness - Unique is much better in the dark.
terry_p got his lead (soft) 158gr. SWCHP GC from Rim Rock Bullets (Buffalo Bore's supplier for both the 158 and the 148HC DEWC). Used PP at 7.0 (max. allowable) and almost equaled (w/i a few feet) BB's load vel. Alliant(?) max. is 7.0 gr. and terry didn't want to exceed that for .38spc. He did not attempt the WC loadings, which I thought would be an interesting exercise, as you proved. He recv'd comments that PP was not appropriate for short barrels. His research/results prevailed/proved correct, using the PP recommended max. loads vs. max. loads from Unique and (I believe) Bullseye (please verify the BE).

I know how to reload, just don't have the gear, so I depend on Guru's like you and Terry to supply the info I need.

Here is his thread. He is one of the moderators on that site.

http://rugerforum.net/reloading/2244...lswchp-gc.html

Best.

Last edited by Rob1109; 01-04-2011 at 01:22 AM.