View Single Post

Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 PM

Liked 111 Times in 59 Posts
Smile

For your 617, the Weaver 401 in either silver or black finish is more than enough mount. I use the Weigand scope mount on my magnums. As to the optical sight: I think you will be happiest with the standard "tube style" red dot. The Ultradot's have the best warranty.......lifetime. As a general rule, the 1" tubes have smaller dots. The 30mm tubes have a larger field of view. Most serious bullseye pistol competitors shoot an Ultradot...........either the Matchdot or the 1" 4 minute dot. That said, I have several of the older made in Japan Tasco PDP3's with a 5 minute dot. They have the widest field of view of any 30mm tube that I have shot. Plus, they have a nice round dot. Beware of some of these cheapo Chicom units. You will not be happy with a dot that looks like a starburst, a comma, or a figure eight. As to scopes of 2X or more: Unless you are shooting off a rest most of the time, you will find that while they magnify the target, they also add a new dimension to your "wobble" when shooting off-hand. Whatever you decide.......a .22 handgun with a dot sight makes for plenty of fun!