View Single Post

Old 01-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Liked 2,526 Times in 1,043 Posts

I wonder. I've done ok on some high quality pieces, but with "normal" guns the value seems to stay constant with inflation adjustment. A week's wages then, a week's wages now.

A while back I took a test list of guns my future widow might be stuck with to Scheel's, and asked them to ball-park what they would offer her. All were decent, but not spectacular pieces. Eventually the salesman came back to me, and somewhat appologetically said that even he didn't agree with the low buying prices offered. A quick glance confirmed that, and I thanked him for his time. At least he had the decency to be embarassed.

Similarly I ran a table at a recent gun show, medium sized city. Talk about a comatose market!

I'm starting to think that just being able to enjoy what I have over the years is the major gain here, and any monetary gains are going to be slender and transient. "Investment" just doesn't seem to be the right word. Maybe I believed it once, but not so much anymore. Maybe if the economy recovers and people spend like there's no tomorrow again.