View Single Post

Old 01-08-2011, 03:50 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,469 Times in 8,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbrdn View Post
I didn't have room to mention that the pistol in question had imitation stag handles. Also, the serial number is on the extractor star. I saw some earlier posts that this may be a pistol manufactured in WWII and sent to Britain--later cut down and imported to U.S. where dealers further modified them.
If so, based on the markings, is it a .38 special or a 38/200? We have always shot .38 specials in it with no problems. Additionally, I think the letters under the crown are BNP--not RNP as previously stated. BNP and a crown are also stamped on each cylinder.

STEVE
As is typical on pre war S&Ws, the serial # is stamped in 6 places; frame butt, inside right grip panel, barrel, cylinder, extractor star (frt or back), and back side of the crane (as viewed with flashlight thru an open chamber with cylinder open).

If it chambers 38 Specials, it was most likely made for the US market and sent overseas for the Battle of Britain when any number of US arms were sent/loaned/sold to the British to help them defend their country against impending invasion from Hitler's forces. Due to unwise and wrongheaded government regulation of firearms not unlike the onslaught of draconian gun laws constantly being attempted by the radical left in this country and attained in many others, the populace of England was virtually defenseless.
Firearms sent to England underwent "inspection" as are all British arms at the government Proof House, and (with typical British analism [no offense intended]) infamous for it's profuse stamping of testing proof stamps all over the arms. Many of those arms came back to the US after the war.
If it had been made for the Brirish under contract, it would have been chambered in 38 S&W (not special) and labeled 38/200 (English terminology for the same cartridge).

But there are other possible scenarios for your gun, just not as likely IMHO.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 01-08-2011 at 04:00 AM.