View Single Post

Old 01-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Liked 476 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearss1968 View Post
Anyone have some good recipets for the 460XVR? going to be reloading here in a week.
The Hodgdon website has some good recipes for the XTP-MAGS on their website. They are a bit stout tho....I recommend you start at the starting load and watch for sticky extraction as you work up. Flattened primers are normal for the .460.

Hodgdon - The Gun Powder People

The Hornady manual is also a very good reference for their bullets. They are a bit more on the conservative side with starting loads, but their max is about the same.

You do NOT need to push the .460 to max for it to be effective. My X-Frame is very sensitive to small changes in powder charge. It doesn't take much sometimes to go from a pleasant shooting round to one that the empties need to be pushed out with a dowel. Heavy, consistent crimps are a must...... not only to keep the bullets from movement under recoil, but for best accuracy when H110/W296 is being used. I trim my new and once fired brass before loading to make sure crimps are consistent and check them for length before reloading them again. Also....the brass will last longer when loads are moderate.