View Single Post

Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts

It depends what you are looking for.

- If you want an AR platform .22 rifle, get the 15-22. It functions (almost) exactly like a 5.56 AR, the only exception is the absence of a forward assist and dust cover. It's size, shape, controls, magazine size, method of assembly/disassembly (minus the obvious bolt & bolt carrier differences), feel, etc. are that of a larger caliber AR.

- If you want a semi-auto .22 dressed up to look tactical that only approximates the look of an AR, get the Ruger. The SR22 is only a cosmetic modification of the 10/22, nothing more. All of the controls, magazine, assembly/disassembly method, etc. are that of a 10/22.

In my opinion, they are not in the same category of rifle. The 15-22 fits squarely in the AR platform category, at this point, no other 'tactical' .22 rifle does. Even the Colt .22 M4 is questionable because a portion of that rifle is purely cosmetic.

I've owned a Ruger 10/22 for over 25 years and I think it is simply one of the best .22 rifles ever made. Out of the box, my 10/22 is easily much more accurate than my 15-22, however, they serve different purposes and were designed for different purposes. With some work, the 15-22 can shoot just as accurately as the 10-22 or any other hunting type semi-auto .22

I think all here would agree that saying 10/22 is the same as saying SR22. I think there is very little difference between an SR22 and a 10/22 with a tactical stock.

So..It depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited by CPTBeaker; 01-09-2011 at 11:28 AM.