View Single Post

Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Liked 3,499 Times in 1,287 Posts

I have had a CCW in Iowa for more than 25 years. We are apparently going to be an open carry state with the new shall issue law, at least that's what I've read. I have carried openly when working uniformed security and I have to admit, I was always very cautious. I didn't have a snatch proof security holster, so I was always cognizant of anyone on my strong side. I think this is one area people don't consider when contemplating open carry. The idiot at the grocery store in line behind you who wants to teach you a lesson. Is your training and self awareness good enough to deal with that, or better yet, prevent it? Most likely not for most people. Then there are the anti-gun folks who want to make points for their side. They could say you were acting in a threatening manner. At the very least you are going to be closely questioned by law enforcement.
I know the arguments about open carry and the fact it is a right in some areas. I think my quarter century carrying a gun gives me at least a modicum of credibility. My view is it is not a real good idea.