View Single Post

Old 01-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Liked 9,184 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@R Fan View Post
I have had a CCW in Iowa for more than 25 years. We are apparently going to be an open carry state with the new shall issue law, at least that's what I've read. I have carried openly when working uniformed security and I have to admit, I was always very cautious. I didn't have a snatch proof security holster, so I was always cognizant of anyone on my strong side. I think this is one area people don't consider when contemplating open carry. The idiot at the grocery store in line behind you who wants to teach you a lesson. Is your training and self awareness good enough to deal with that, or better yet, prevent it? Most likely not for most people. Then there are the anti-gun folks who want to make points for their side. They could say you were acting in a threatening manner. At the very least you are going to be closely questioned by law enforcement.
I know the arguments about open carry and the fact it is a right in some areas. I think my quarter century carrying a gun gives me at least a modicum of credibility. My view is it is not a real good idea.
Actually, I see open carry advocates discussing retention holsters and retention techniques all the time. I would guess that you haven't been a party to these sorts of discussions.

Trying to snatch somebody's gun is assault. You have every legal right to take the appropriate steps to retain possession of it. If somebody gets hurt in the process, shame on them.

I don't carry openly. I don't see anything wrong with it, and don't criticize anyone for doing so. Most of the more vehement criticisms of open carry I've seen have been virtually indistinguishable from those I've gotten for carrying concealed.

Do whatever you like that's legal.