View Single Post

Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,051 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Lake View Post
I believe open carry is legal in the leftist state of Wisconsin also. But I sure wouldn't try it. I have talked with several chief's of police and my relatives that are cops and the universal agreement is ------- They will take away your weapon and if you resist, they will take you away too.
Yes, some police departments in Ohio tried that too. In the last revision of our CCW laws a provision was put into effect that firearms MUST be returned and the police department reimburses legal expenses. Those problem departments (who were VERY few in number) may not understand the law but they seem to understand accounting.

Allegedly even the FOP is advising officers here to leave legal OCers alone. Something about the personal liability a LEO can face if they are convicted of using the badge to enforce laws that do not exist.

Again, I want to point out that when we were going through this transition there were very few police departments that seemed to be arbitrarily interpreting laws. After a few individuals were willing to go to court, and won, there does not seem to be much of an issue with OC.

In fact it was someone willing to take an inducing panic charge to the Ohio Supreme Court that really brought to the light the need for CCW permits in Ohio. The argument was made that Ohio did not need CCW because open carry was legal. An individual open carried and was charged with inducing panic. When it went to court the LEO stated that their policy was to always charge an OCer with inducing panic. Obviously sometimes even Judges can recognize that if a person is always charged with a crime while engaging in a legal activity there is a real problem.