View Single Post

Old 01-14-2011, 06:54 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,048 Times in 1,007 Posts

This thread is a good example of how some questions and responses can be VERY region specific. The OP was about Ohio open carry and those of us with Ohio carry experience tried to steer the poster in the correct direction, as we saw it.

it is my understanding that in California open carry of a loaded handgun by one of the unwashed masses is illegal, period. So it's logical that someone open carrying a handgun could expect a different response from LEOs in Cali than Ohio. Apparently in other States LEOs are given a much looser hand in deciding which civil rights individuals can exercise. As this seems to be acceptable to the residents of those States who employ the LEOS who are we to judge.

In some States the gun laws are almost incomprehensible to those of use who don't live there. My best friends son-in-law lives in New Jersey. Once when visiting Ohio he decided to purchase a 22 target rifle. To him it was inconceivable that you could walk into a store, lay down your money, fill out a form and walk out with a 22 rifle. To me it was inconceivable that he would have to report that purchase to the local police in New Jersey, but if I understood him correctly that is the case.

So like I said, this is a good example of some questions and answers being very location specific.