View Single Post

Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM

Liked 9,184 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesArthur60 View Post
I'm sorry to hear you cannot trust LE in your area. I knew the law and my fellow LEO's knew the law. I never, nor did I ever witness another officer hassle any law abiding gun carrying individual. In fact, the more legal guns in the inner city always helped us control the predator/dirtbag/criminal population.
Unlike in my home town, I can generally trust the local police not to commit overt crimes. I can't trust them to know the law, especially firearms law. Time after time, I and other people have seen them misstate and misapply what should be VERY clear state law (and that's the ONLY kind of gun law in Ohio, apart from Federal law).

A couple of years ago, I had a Rocky River cop try the nonsense "inducing panic" threat on me when I inadvertently exposed my M1911. I was polite, but refused to be bullied. He in turn became more and more angry and less and less mature. In the end, he apparently called a grownup and was told what the law REALLY was. I followed up with a letter to the Chief about how his officers were threatening people with imaginary offenses (even the AG's office says that pure open carry isn't "inducing panic") and that if they were to act on that ignorance, it would be bad for everybody.

And just as a note, when you OBVIOUSLY don't know the law, bellowing, "I know, I'm a cop!" doesn't gain you one bit of credibility.