View Single Post

Old 01-16-2011, 02:24 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have both..the Ruger LCP with the CT laser and now a recent production BG380. In fact, I just shot the BG for the first time today. Just some general impressions.

Size/Weight - the LCP is slightly lighter and thinner. That may be an advantage or not depending on the size of your hands, your grip, etc...Both fit into the same Superfly pocket holster just fine.

Comfort when shooting - the BG has the advantage to me. Its slightly larger grip seems to provide a better surface for me, a little less movement, although I have large hands, so neither is really a "handful." I cut a Hogue Junior size slip-on grip down a little and put it on the BG, which made it much more comfortable to hold and fire. It is hard to do that with the LCP, as the laser activation button would be covered. On that subject, the CT laser on the LCP is instinctive, the BG is going to require some practice to be able to remember to turn it on under any stress. The BG buttons work fine, but do require some effort to press.

Trigger pull - The BG is obviously heavier, but both are smooth enough. Not really fun to work either of them in a range setting, but both would work in the real world. The BG will be an improved piece if we can find a way to drop the pull down a bit.

Reliability - I only shot 110 rounds through the BG - 50 S&B FMJ, 50 AE FMJ and 10 Remington HP. Three times I had a failure to ignite on the first strike of an S&B, each time the 2nd strike set it off. Each time, the fp had left a primer dent, so I think that red coating on the S&B primers may not be a good match for the BG380. No issues at all on the other 60 rounds.

Accuracy - very similar at 5 and 7 yards. The sights on the BG are better for sure, but the lasers on both yield similar accuracy. I felt I was a little better with the BG due to the more secure grip, but the differences were minor.

I am waiting on two more BG mags to be shipped from S&W, so that I can do some reloads, etc...Would love to hear other people's opinions.