View Single Post

Old 01-17-2011, 04:37 PM

Liked 532 Times in 262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
For conversions like that, you would use standard magazines.

The .40 round is a shortened 10mm, so it will fit in the magazine with some space to spare. The .357 would be similar since it uses a bottlenecked .40 casing. Glock 20 conversions work the same way, and back when .40 1006 barrels were produced, that is how they were ran.

The magazines would not need to be modified. Also, 4006 magazine would not work, since they are double-stacked and the 10mm magazines are single-stacked.
I agree regarding the magazines. The 10XX-series mags should work and feed fine for the .40S&W, .357Sig & 9x25Dillon cartridges, just as the stock 10mm mags for the Glock 20 & 29 work without a hitch w/ those rounds. 10mm fans on GT and elsewhere have posted repeatedly about having NO issues with feeding.

These rounds are all 10mm case-derivatives anyway, so for extraction and ejection purposes the critical "back-end" dimensions are identical. Plus, the polished, integral ramp of 10XX-series barrels should work in favor of smooth feeding off the mags, not against it.

In 1911 guns, I've read about IPSC/IDPA guys who, when they interchange their 10mm barrels for .40 tubes, "long-load" their .40 reloads (i.e., increase the COAL a bit) to ensure consistent feeding. But my understanding was they still were using a stock 10mm mag.

Just FYI ...