View Single Post

Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
I can't think of any good reason for a mag disconnect, unless you're worried about someone taking the gun away from you. I won't let them get that close. I'm much more worried about getting charged in the middle of a mag change.
Really? there are many documented cases of the mag disconnect saving lives. Mostly cops who had their gun taken from them, but also cases of untrained people thinking the gun was unloaded after removing the magazine. I can't think of ONE case where having the ability to fire one round with the mag out has saved a life. Do you walk around in 100% situational awareness all the time? . Never struggled with a grocery bag while opening the car door? Never been on a date and concentrating on her as you walk her to her door? Never had to deal with a couple of kids arguing over who gets the window seat? Do you have eyes in the back of your head? Attacks happen quick and up close. I'm 6'2, 225 pounds. I'm not gonna say I will always get the upper hand in a struggle. Unless you're a robot, you CAN make a mistake. Like drivers who have been driving for years and they get into an accident. The odds of being in an actual shootout are probably 1 million to one (depending on your location). The odds of having the presence of mind to reload in the middle of that gunfight while you are dodging bullets and trying to stay alive are even bigger, not to mention being able to quickly and smoothly get that second mag in without dropping it or putting it in backwards, unless you have been extensively trained, and the odds of the one round you DO have being an instant man-stopper are even bigger. So now you have an empty gun, with the slide NOT locked back, and you need two hands to reload and chamber that round.

Mag disconnects fell out of favor right around the time the internet came into play. Internet rumor and armchair warriors have convinced people they are Jack Bauer.

Last edited by kbm6893; 01-19-2011 at 09:04 AM.