View Single Post

Old 01-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Liked 1,371 Times in 699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29since14 View Post
Since we've brought out sayings from the old timers, the best .25 quip I've heard was one Jeff Cooper repeated, but I cannot recall who he attributed it to. The advice was that if you were going to carry a .25, never load it. The problem with loading it was you might shoot someone. If you did - and they found out about it - they would be angry.
You know, that may be a more accurate statement than most might think, the angry part that is......

Early in this thread I mentioned a friend who was in Vietnam that carried a .25 cal as a deep back-up. One day he and another SF Sgt, while in the RVN, were messing up big time by walking down a two track, during the day, quietly talking to each other. He said, all of a sudden a VC ran out on the trail in front of them, shouted something, then fired off some shots with what turned out to be a .25 acp. Suffice it to say, that act was the last thing that fellow ever did.......

While my friend & the other Sgt. were checking the body for documents & the like, Sgt. Street, the "other Sgt." pointed to my friend's chest and said, "you've been shot." My friend said he looked down and sure enough there was a spot of blood on his shirt directly over his heart. He then went on to say that he pulled open his shirt, looked at the wound, then proceeded to remove the slug exactly the same way one would pop a pimple.

One of the reasons he gave that may have explained the lack of penetration was that the enemy was using, "cheap Chi-com" ammo.

While telling me this story, sometime in the mid-70's, my friend opened his shirt and showed me a small, neat, round scar directly over his heart. He also mentioned that the guy with the .25 was one brave individual, either that or he was as "dumb as we were for walking down a trail."
The Following User Likes This Post: