View Single Post

Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 PM

Liked 6,939 Times in 3,309 Posts
Default tangent thoughts on the repoman case.

Its hard to look at that one without making a few assumptions based on probability. Such as the home owner probably went out to engage the repoman in the interest of home defense. If the rumors are true about shot placement, the repoman probably overstepped his authority.
This one should have turned the other way around.

Seems a common thing that people just do not think much past possession of a weapon for defense.
Its rather rare that people think of how they might employ such a tool ahead of time, and we really should give that some heavy thought. many responsibilities ride on gun ownership and this is one of them. which brings us up to story time, so pull up a chair and sit on the floor and ill do my best to enchant you (oh who am I kidding).

At the time my sister had just married an avid hunter and my parents had extended permission to him to hunt out on our property. Well it was not quite so simple as that, and I hadn't figured out the new inlaws behavioral patterns quite yet.
He never told us of his seemingly endless supply of hunting buddies. the seemingly random nature of new faces made it hard to keep accurate track of things like who belonged to what vehicle and such.
Well it was the opening day of bow season, of which I dont participate in so seeing an individual in the yard rooting around an unidentified truck posed a security problem from my perspective on that dark 4AM morning. what I did know is that the truck did not fit the description of the in laws and 4AM is as good a time to be up to no good as up to no good times come ... I might know a little about that but I aint talkin.
Yeah I could have easily punched his ticket from the window but I had an absolutely unidentified target. what I mean is we haven't even determined friend or foe yet. So it only seemed right to make an effort to determine which, THEN pump him full of lead.
I was no stranger to sneaking outta the house to be entertained by some members of a fairer sex and the methods of departing in ghost like silence were well established.
So I grabbed my 12 Ga and employed these previously well drilled techniques to go have a little chat with our guest.
After traversing the quietest possible route to the contact I was at an engagement range of 10 feet, and he hadn't heard a sound. My shotgun was shouldered and ready through the advance with the muzzle held low for full visual field. I had him dead to rights when I called out for him to identify himself and step back.
Lighting sucked, but I knew where to send that 00 if it went black....
Well poor Fred's hunting excursion was ruined as he pee'd himself, just a little...
Freds version included such things as "moved like the night" and other legend building things which probably made a better security system than money could buy.
My father woke just in time to witness the last play of the game, and his version isn't half bad either I wish I was still in that good of shape....

The point here is, I took up arms to protect my home. I also resigned to the fact that odds were pretty good that I'd be taking someone life, even before I felt the gun resting in my hands. as a result, I went out with exactly that mindset. it's killin time till I see cause to think differently.
Thats really the only way to to think when meeting threats in your yard. You really cant afford to think your peaceful existence remains at times like these. thats the first thing they take from your property, the peace.
if you really have a live one on your hands, he is probably already prepared to vaporize you face with a caliber ... they've been at this game elsewhere. They live on violence and you can bet they will make NO exception for you. Gun in hand, It's killin time till determined otherwise.
this and this alone might have saved the home owner.