View Single Post

Old 01-21-2011, 12:10 AM

Liked 862 Times in 379 Posts

I believe the original BP Loading, was 21.5 Grains 3F, and, 158 Grain RNL.

Rated at the time, for 950 FPS in the longer Barreled Models.

For power and satisfaction, and better performance than the present day 'SAAMI' blessed off-the-shelf 158 Grain RNL, Load them yourself Black Powder Cartridges for .38 Special are hard to beat.

Probably 'Swiss' Powder would most nearly conform to what was the de rigeur 'then'.

But, even 'GOEX' does well of course.

I have been trying to find a long Barrel M1899, and, a handful of period Baloon Head Cases ( in case anyone has a few to sell or give away? ) where, my interest would be to duplicate what I believe was the original Loading, and, to Chronograph it, from a period Revolver.

This would settle some Hash, anyway, as for how the original Cartridge could be expected to perform in it's original configuration, in at least the two Barrel Lengths of period revolvers I would then have, to test it with.

All of which of course is a little deteur from our salient Topic, but, just to meander a little...

Even 18 Grains of BP and 158 RNL in a present Day Cartridge Case, does very well in short to long Barrel Lengths of contemporaty .38 Special Revolvers.

The recoil and report are both very impressive and pleasant.

A naive observer would suppose the BP Loadings to be a lot more powerful than standard Smokeless ones, if witnessing the recoil and report.

Last edited by Oyeboteb; 01-21-2011 at 12:14 AM.