View Single Post

Old 01-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Liked 143 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAye View Post
OR - IF the *home owner* had acted honestly and responsibly concerning his contract with the finance company there wouldn't have been a confrontation in the first place.

I am assuming that the repo man went to the right house though
Doesn't matter. The bottom line is that if anyone comes on your property, especially in the middle of the night, they have no reason to assume you won't come out armed to defend yourself. A dark figure in the middle of the night on your property represents a real and present threat to your life. If you don't take it seriously and the person is indeed there to enter your house and attack you, then giving up whatever advantage to him you might have is likely deadly.

I cannot imagine a repo man not understanding that sneaking onto somebody's property in the middle of the night invites an armed response. You cannot make an argument that the homeowner lacks a good reason for responding quickly and decisively to an intruder. Obviously the repo guys do understand this as many/most seem to be armed. I belive it is encumbent on them, as the "aggressor" to take all possible steps to descalate this type of event. They should not draw or shoot at a homeowner simply responding properly to an intruder. They created the situation by their own actions, it is their fault an armed homeowner is responding. If they can't figure out how to get the car without causing such an incident, then they shouldn't have their job.