View Single Post

Old 01-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Liked 1,383 Times in 522 Posts

Carrying a firearm is a tremendous responsibility and to do so we need to remember why. It's to defend ourselves and family from immediate harm. Speaking for myself, I'm not there to protect the general public, that was my job in law enforcement. Officers are required by law to intervene and protect the public, and have the authority to do so. As a civilian I do not. I will not shoot a person I find in my front yard going through my truck. I will call 911 and wait however long it takes for the police to respond. In the meanwhile I'll stay within my home, positioned to defend my family until the police arrive. ONLY if I feel an immediate threat to myself or family will I use deadly force. Most of us understand how serious this issue is. We cannot afford to make a mistake because the consequences will be profound. And every time someone does something stupid with a firearm it gives more ammo (pun intended) to the Anti-gun lobby. So please remember, every time you place a weapon in your hand your taking on a great responsibility for which you will be held accountable. Stay safe.