View Single Post

Old 01-22-2011, 06:33 PM

Liked 75 Times in 43 Posts
Default new kit gun info

Hello,

i just got back from the gunshow with my latest addition to the safe. i will start by saying that this is only my 2nd S&W since i am mostly a rifle guy but am getting more interested in pistols, hence this purchase. anyway, i bought a model 34-1 blue with square butt and 4" pinned barrel. it came with the original matching number box, papers, cleaning kit and even the registration card never filled out. it is in really good shape with only blue wear around the muzzle and very little cylinder markings but it does have a very small tight crack on the right stock. it has the diamond shape in the grip. my question concerns the serial number. on the bottom of the butt is a serial number 10397X, however on the swing out in front of the cylinder is another number 2232x along with th letter B and upside down j. it also says in the same area Mod 34-1. my questions are

1 - has this gun had a cylinder swing out arm on it from a different gun?

2 - when was this gun made?

3 - i paid $300 for it. is that about the going price? not that its really important to me. i just like the heck out of it and don't ever plan on selling it. it will be in my coat pocket when i'm squirrel hunting from now on.

i gave it a good cleaning and took it out back and shot a box of shells at various ranges and it shoots pretty good but needs the sites adjusted a little.
i really like this gun and have been looking for one of these kit guns since i read about them some time back. it is a good match to my 586. any info would be really appreciated. thanks.