View Single Post

Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 AM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

I checked with my pusher several times a week after ordering one when they were announced nearly a year ago. I bought the first one they got - 4/10 - and it was perfect, except for the grips. Like yours in the picture, they didn't close up completely behind the trigger guard. Grip tag with S&W yielded a second - and identical, down to the same gap, pair. The Eagle boot grips met the '99 gripframe edge radii - and fit my '96 vintage 625-6 MG perfectly. Modern N-frame grips will retro to the '96 - '99 gripframes, but not vice versa. Still, I loved the revolver - and fitted it with my spare N-frame grips - perfect, of course.

It's autumn - I sold an old friend - and bought a second PC627 UDR 10/10 - again, without looking at the grip fit. Another gap - I sent them back - and, voila, a set that fit! Sadly, I then found out I hated the small size of the grip - and on with more 'extra' grips - a perfect fit, of course. Both revolvers were the two most perfect new S&W's I've ever bought, which was appropriate - they are the only new PC guns I've ever bought.

Considering other, and larger, grips was easy once I faced the simple fact that at nearly 2.5 lb, the PC627 UDR is not a great candidate for a CCW. I keep my 642 with OEM boots for that. It is a lot of fun as a plinker - and a great protector, in the home or Jeep. I shoot +P .38 Special +P's and my wimpy .357M homebrews as an upper end; .38 Special plinkers as a mainstay. Even though both have very good DA triggers, no ftf's have been noted with any primers. It's nice to be able to shoot my stash of older ammo in mixed primers again, too - my 627 Pro is sensitive - Federal primed ammo only - after it's change to lighter Wolff springs. In fairness, it's DA pull is lighter.

While I love the moonclips, and Ranch Products' version is great,they are tempermental, fit-wise. Starline and Remington brass fits most easily. The 5 Star Firearms speedloaders are great - just keep the OAL of the eight rounds per load similar. I wish I could find a decent holster!

Congratulations on your purchase - you will love it!

Stainz