View Single Post

Old 01-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 203 Times in 87 Posts

I maintain a database of VP-70Z serial numbers. It's large enough that I am fairly certain that about 20,000 VP-70Z's were built for the civilian market, mostly in 9x19. There were about 400 pistols built near the end of production in 9x21 for sale mostly in Italy.

The earliest serial number I have seen was 732xx, made in 1980. The latest known for the US was 919xx, made in 1984. The 9x21 pistols are in the range 93000 to 93400. I have seen one later 9x19 with serial number 935xx that was located in Austria.

Keep in mind that these weapons were originally intended as machine pistols (VP-70M) that would be issued to civilians if the Communist hordes poured over the border. A perfect trigger was not that important for that use. The three shot burst capability was built into the shoulder stock that came with the "M" models. The numbering system would suggest that about 75000 of the "M" models were built, but that is just an educated guess on my part. The simplicity and ruggedness , not to mention capacity, of the design were superb for the time.

The trigger can be significantly improved. Wolff sells a reduced weight striker spring that will get the pull down to 12-13 pounds, and I have gotten to 9 pounds by clipping off two spring coils, without affecting ignition in the least. Reliability of the pistol is legendary. I've heard it said that if you could get a brick into the magazine, the pistol would feed it.

The only real PITA is that there were no aftermarket mags built for the pistols. Originals will set you back $50-$100, depending on your luck in finding them.

John, thanks for starting this thread.

Buck

Last edited by haggis; 01-23-2011 at 04:23 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: