View Single Post

Old 01-24-2011, 03:22 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

There's another side of the repo man that disgusts me. They may not all be quilty, but I bet more are than not.

A girl who worked for me had some problems. Mostly the inability to keep her legs together, and the aftermath. She hadn't been making her car payments. Finally her dad found out when someone tried to take her car. Lucky for her it was blocked in. But then her dad did the family thing. He called GMAC (another bunch of jerks, but I guess they've been burned a time or two.) What they told him was there was a repo order out on her car. He could pay her up to date, with penalties, and they'd stop the repo.

So he did. They wouldn't even take a personal check (I guess back to the being burned part.) So he had to go to his bank and get both a certified check and some cash (they couldn't/wouldn't tell him the exact amount.) He had to go to their offices and pay up. Dad's do things for their kids they probably shouldn't. At least she was out of trouble. It was getting near Christmas. As part of the GMAC deal he paid the past due amounts, and a full month in advance. She was free and clear until mid January. Life was good (except she had 2 kids by 2 different fathers.)

At work one day our maintenance man came to my office grinning. He was a repo guy in the past, also a jerk (but I repeat myself). He'd just stood by and watched someone repo a car out of our office lot. My question was why he didn't pull a company truck across the entrance. He didn't like the girl (our girl from above.) It had been over 2 full weeks and she hadn't given a thought to them still having an active repo order out. But away the car went. With all her Christmas presents and other stuff inside.

And guess what? No one could find that car. We involved the local PD because she had a receipt showing she was up to date on her loan. A day or two after Christmas they located her car. Some problems. The stuff inside was all missing. Well, that and there was some body work needed. Wrecker drivers sometimes don't really care. The locals did a great job of threatening the repo guy and his impound yard. She actually did get back a small amount of her stuff (the stuff without receipts, the assumption being they took her stuff back and got cash for the returns.) But the threat was they'd get arrested for grand theft over the deal.

It seems like anything found inside the repo'd vehicle somehow becomes the property of the repo guy. Not supposed to, and there's even a way they're supposed to bag and store it. Of course that never happens. All she got back was her car, the local chevy dealer did the body work, and a cash settlement (I'd believe she padded that, and if she did, its OK with me.)

There really may be honest repo men out and about. But I bet if they're honest, they can tell much better stories than we can about their co-workers. Its an ugly business. Its a shame people don't pay their debts.