View Single Post

Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 PM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I find MOST of the guns chambered in .25acp are not safe to be carried with a round in the chamber--a few are but I would never carry a Raven or similar striker fired .25acp a loaded chamber, I just do not believe it is safe to carry them that way. The higher end .25's maybe but if I had a choice I would rather carry a S&W 351C in .22 Mag--darn near the same size and a heck of a lot more power, lot more safe and less prone to jams.

Funny that years ago I would never consider carrying a .380 because the choice in expanding ammo was small and the guns were prone to jams if you used it. Fast forward years and I quite often carry a Ruger LCP with Hornady Critical Defense expanding ammo. Not a single malfunction in 300 rounds and this particular load is right on the heels of standard pressure .38 special and gives me 2 more rounds than the .38 snubby I also sometimes carry.

Was just visiting the Hornady website and just for the heck of it checked out the specs on their .25acp load---they offer 1 load of a 35 grain XTP hollowpoint at 900fps and a whopping 63ft lbs. Contrast that with their new .22 Mag Critical Defense loading with a 45 grain bullet at 1000fps and 100 ft lbs out of a 1 7/8" barrel(specifically a S&W 351 PD). They got ALMOST the same amount of penetration as their .380 CD with a 90 grain bullet--10". Not saying a rimfire is the best defense round but when you compare it to the .25acp, I'm going with the .22 mag all day long.

Last edited by seattleM29; 01-25-2011 at 03:17 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: