View Single Post

Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM

Liked 2,358 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn1754 View Post
Am I going to be the only one here to defend the 40 S&W? I'm finding much more 40 S&W brass than 45 ACP at the range and actually slightly more than 9mm even! It gives more capacity, but still has great knock-down power. To me, it's the perfect compromise and is able to be in slimmer, easier to conceal guns than the 45 ACP. Now please, in NO WAY am I dissing either the 9mm or the 45 ACP, but for me, the 40 S&W is my go to round and it's popularity amoung law enforcement says a lot in my mind.
I have a .40 also so that means it's the best and all the rest of you are wrong.

I was a .357 magnum-beats-all kind of guy because that's what I had and liked to shoot. I could load .38's in it, and then really heat up some 158 grain hand loads to make a flamethrower out of the thing! Sure I was shooting a .44 magnum also, but I liked my .357. I really wondered how the rimless guys could accept those paltry loads a .40 or .45ACP puts out.

Then I carried a .22 for a while. Nice, light, and I was deadly accurate with it. Used to practice by hip shooting tin cans like in the old west. Anybody willing to take a dozen shots from a .22? Me either!

I carry a .40 now. I like the fact I can load 15 rounds if I want. I like the shape and feel. I like the gun. I like that it can be a 9mm for an $80 barrel change.

I ordered a .38 for CCW. I don't want to carry my .40 all the time. So now I like the .38.

In a nutsack, I think anything from .22 up to the new .50's are good carry guns. (forgot to mention my BIL has a 50 I like to shoot!)

You will like what you own, obviously or you wouldn't own it! I shoot my .22's the most because they are a blast and are so cheap to shoot. They are by far the most important gun anyone can own methinks. If you don't have a couple of .22's you are missing a great time.