View Single Post

Old 01-29-2011, 12:44 AM

Liked 394 Times in 221 Posts
Lightbulb

H110 is formulated for maximum loads. You will not find much of a 'range' of loads for a given bullet weight for H110.

2400 gives you more 'latitude' for loads that are almost as powerful as you can get with H110, but also say 75% of a max load as well.

I use Unique for 99% of my reloading, including 44 magnum.

I don't hunt, so i don't 'need' maximum loads.

I load a few 'hotter' loads mainly for fun.Like a box of 50 would last more than a year for me.

For this I like to use Blue Dot: it uses less powder than 2400, and burns cleaner, too.

I have always noticed that loads with 2400 leave a LOT of unburned granules when you eject the empties. Once enough got behind the ejector on my 629 that it wouldn't seat properly. And this was after only a few cylinders of loads...maybe 18 rounds.

With Blue Dot, you can approach 'maximum' loads, but it burns a bit too fast for really 'heavy' loads.

If you need and want the most from a 44 magnum load, then H110 is what you want to use...and with relatively heavy bullets, too.

You get more energy at the muzzle, and downrange from 240gr to 300gr. bullets.

I use 250 grain hard cast Keith type lead semiwadcutters.

My usual 'target' load is only 7.0gr Unique. That's a very light, but very accurate load for me, at moderate distances, and very easy on my 44 revolvers. Leading is absent to minimal.